Moving direct air capture technology from pilots to commercial, large-scale implementation.
The world will need to store many gigatonnes of carbon dioxide per year as part of a broad package of solutions to get to net zero emissions. OGCI is working with industry, governments and other investors to scale up carbon capture, use and storage (CCUS). We are also exploring the role OGCI can play in enhancing natural climate solutions.
Understanding CO2 Storage
Professor Sally Benson, one of the world’s experts on CO2 storage, talks to OGCI about how it works and what makes it safe.
How CCUS enables a net zero future
Decarbonizing industries like steel, cement and
Providing low carbon gas power as a backup to renewables
Kickstarting the hydrogen economy
Creating the infrastructure for negative emissions
What OGCI is doing
CCUS is one of OGCI’s top priorities. We aim to facilitate the emergence of a commercially viable CCUS industry that can safely, permanently and responsibly store carbon dioxide on a gigatonne scale.
Our KickStarter Initiative
OGCI launched CCUS KickStarter in 2019 to facilitate large-scale commercial investment in CCUS. It aims to enable multiple low-carbon industrial hubs. These hubs will capture carbon dioxide from several industrial sources within one region and bring economies of scale by sharing transport and storage infrastructure. Our aim is to create the market conditions for CCUS to play a significant role in decarbonizing industry.
- Help 5 emerging hubs to reach operations, building on the work of many others
- Identify new hubs in around 25 additional countries and help mature those that are viable
- Engage with national and local governments, industrial emitters and, other investors
- Invest in anchor projects to enable hubs
- Share learnings proactively to accelerate progress
- Help develop the necessary market conditions for CCUS
- Facilitate large-scale commercial investment in CCUS
- Bring economies of scale by sharing transport and storage infrastructure
- Play our part in the emergence of a commercially viable, safe and environmentally responsible CCUS industry
- Facilitate the decarbonization of multiple industrial sectors
- Enable multiple low-carbon industrial hubs
OGCI’s CCUS KickStarter
Hubs with a defined CCUS concept
Net Zero Teesside, UK
Northern Lights/Longship, Norway
High potential hubs under evaluation
Adriatic Blue, Italy
What OGCI member companies are doing to accelerate CCUS
OGCI Climate Investments invests in technologies and projects that capture store or use carbon dioxide in industrial processes and power generation.